Thursday, March 3, 2011

Did you say GREEN smoothies?

much prettier than my first green smoothie
Ninety nine percent of the people who know me know my favorite food is a chocolate malt.  So when I first heard of green smoothies I said, Nope.  Can't do this.  But I had two bags of fresh baby spinach in my fridge and was packing to go out of town for a long weekend.   Had to use up the spinach.  I put it in the blender with frozen strawberries and blueberries, some flax meal and a little water.  The blueberries must have made it darker because my smoothie was NOT the pretty green you see above.  It was decidedly brown.  In fact it looked so chocolately I added some cocoa powder.  Then of course it was a tad bitter so I added a little honey.  Maybe I reduced the nutrient density of my breakfast with the added honey but what about the antioxidants in the cocoa (fat and sugar free!).  Most importantly, it tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment