Sunday, March 6, 2011

"Compromise in Percentages"

Hummus with veggies
A weekend with company.  I cooked the first night and made veggie lasagna with whole wheat noodles, fat free sauce, mushrooms, tofu, other veggies.  I added fat free ricotta between the noodles and a
 low fat mozzarella on top.  Served with huge colorful salad and
 home baked multi-grain bread.  Snacks consisted of veggies,
 pita crisps, and baked corn chips dipped in black bean dip,
 hummus, and fresh salsa.
So far so good.  The second night Erich made one of his hometown specialties, and he makes it so well.  Wiener Schnitzel and risotto.   Wiener Schnitzel is an Austrian dish,  pork cutlets dipped in milk, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs and grated cheese and fried in oil.  The risotto was
Wiener Schnitzel

 made with oil and cheese.
Therein lies my dilemma.  I will not dine with my family and refuse
 to eat a beautiful meal made with love in order to be 100%  nutritarian.
There has to be a compromise. Can I do this 80% / 20%?
 Or 90% / 10%?   I think I'm going to have to.  Maybe the answer is
to join in but keep my portions small and fill up on salad.  I know vegans
who take their own food to dinner parties and family gatherings.  That
would have seemed so ant-social bordering on insulting to me not long ago.  What is the answer?  What do most nutritarians do?  Does Dr. Fuhrman dine with SAD proponents?  What does he do?  Take his own food?
Nine weeks and counting.....I'm still learning and adapting.

No comments:

Post a Comment