Sunday, October 2, 2011

Travel Eating

 Being a nutritarian or vegetarian in Austria would be a major challenge.  After three weeks spent living as the locals live I narrowed it down to the top three challenges.


1. The most common Früschtük (breakfast) is cold cuts and cheese with white bread.  When I tried to explain to someone that I don't eat much meat at home she looked at me in astonishment and said, "Then what do you eat for breakfast?!"
     Solution: in a word, Müsli (muesli, like granola)


2. After repeated attempts I could not get a salad with just veggies and dressing on the side.  The closest I got was this salad with eggs and cheese.  The creamy dressing was on the side all right but the greens were tossed in a generous serving of oil.  Once I even ordered a "lean gourmet salad" or Schlankschlemmersalat and received the same fare.  By the way, I did order it myself and handled the pronunciation amazingly well to the accolades of my fellow diners!
Solution:  I would keep trying.  Maybe if I asked for a salad without dressing rather than "on the side"?


3. Snacks.  They always involve meat, usually processed, fatty, and organ meats like liverwurst, and cheese and eggs.  These offerings look quite beautiful esthetically but you can see what I mean.
Thick chunks of cheese and meat, sausage and smoked bacon
A variety of cold cuts, bacon, eggs
Liverwurst, assorted pates of liver, fish and cheese
Then there are the comfort foods served by wonderful friends and family...
Weisswurst, (white sausage) and
fresh baked pretzels with beer at
Erika and Wolfgang's house
Wiener Schnitzel
 (traditional fried pork cutlet dish from Vienna)
lovingly made by Hermi Weitschegger

Solution:  eat all the veggies and sample the rest in very small portions and eat slowly sipping the wine and enjoying the lively Austrian music and conversation!


P.S. I chose not to address the dessert issue here....  
Chocolate Sachertorte, 
a popular torte originating in Vienna

frittierte Krapfen


Fresh home baked apple streudel!
That's me and Hermi

Apfelstrudel

No comments:

Post a Comment